Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Technology Conference Week: Marzano's 9 and Technology

This session was led by a district trainer.  She's very knowledgeable in regards to Marzano and his big ideas.  I've heard a bit about it and I was interested in more.  Here's what I learned:

All 9 of Marzano's ideas are significant and have an impact on learning. Some do have a larger impact than others.  Big ideas are listed in order, from greatest impact to lesser impact.


Identifying similarities and differences: Inspiration and Kidspiration are best tools, word doc tables, Venn Diagrams, Thinking Maps,www.inspiration.com/examples/inspiration (kidspiration)

Summarizing and note taking: Cornell Notes and various other types of notes, including outlining. Note taking generator: www.eleven21.com/notetaker/   It is ok to give kids notes/outlines and have them fill in extra information. Give them key terms and allow time/space to fill in extra info. Bottom is for a summary of information.  Could also create a template in word and type in it. (Good idea for some SS notebook pages next year)

Reinforcing effort and providing recognition: least understood strategy, not automatic, do rewards when they are least expected, be specific and spontaneous with praise. Find movies/clips about people who have overcome obstacles and shown perseverance. Help students make the connection between effort and achievement.  

Homework and practice: not much technology in a traditional sense, homework tracking charts (this is really not an issue in my class, as I rarely assign homework. All students have to do nightly is read, study math facts, and study vocabulary/spelling.)

Nonlinguistic representations: create Jeopardy games with images/actions instead of words,  simulations, collages

Cooperative learning: webquests allow for students to take on roles within a group

Setting objectives and providing feedback: rubrics and online assessments, rubrics help students understand exactly what is expected from them before starting an activity.  

Generating and testing hypotheses: most engaging for students, simulations and investigations, use TV shows like Mythbusters/CSI to point out types of reasoning, predicting, and drawing conclusions.

Cues, questions, and advanced organizerswww.big6.com, put up question and use a timer before allowing students to give responses



I'll be honest - I lost attention toward the end.  The presenter was a local lady, but she failed to address (or maybe didn't realize) that many school do not have students with technology access from home.  She spoke at length about putting things online so students can access them.  That is all well and good, I see the benefit. But what about kids who don't have access?  And our day is so tightly scheduled, that there isn't any time when I could let those kids get online.


All in all, I did get some good ideas.  I like the Cornell Notes generator, I will definitely be using that in SS next year.  I will also be finding out more about the Big 6 (we have to do 2 research projects in Writing and a content area each year.)  Much of the other stuff I already do - I just might need to refine my practice of it.


Do you use Marzano's ideas?  Have you incorporated technology?  Do you use Bloom's instead? I'm interested in all these things - they all have an impact on teaching and learning.

No comments: